HMC5883L 3-Axis Digital Compass IC
Industry-leading accuracy, reliability and resolution
The Honeywell HMC5883L is an ultra-small sensor designed for low-field magnetic sensing with a digital interface for applications such as low-cost compassing and magnetometry.
The HMC5883L is a magnetic sensor in a 3.0x3.0x0.9 mm surface-mount 16-pin leadless chip carrier (LCC) that includes Honeywell’s state-of-the-art, high-resolution magneto-resistive sensors with automatic degaussing (demagnetizing) strap drivers, offset cancellation and a 12-bit ADC for high resolution earth field sensing. Utilizing Honeywell’s anisotropic magneto-resistive (AMR) technology, the solid-state HMC5883L features advanced precision in axis sensitivity and linearity and is designed to measure both the direction and the magnitude of Earth’s magnetic fields. Applications for the HMC5883L include Mobile Phones, Netbooks, Consumer Electronics, Auto Navigation Systems and Personal Navigation Devices.
Key product features include:
- 12-bit ADC coupled with low-noise AMR sensors achieves 2-milli gauss resolution in ±8 gauss fields
- Allows for 1 to 2 degree compass heading accuracy
- Built-in self-test – optional feature built into the internal ASIC that can be used to:
- Quickly verify sensor’s full functionality without requiring expensive test equipment
- Sensitivity matching from different axes/sensors
- Adjust sensitivity drift due to temperature
- Low-voltage operations (2.16 to 3.6V) and low-power consumption (100 μA)
- Compatible for battery powered applications
- Built-in strap drive circuits
- Provides demagnetization of the sensor for each measurement, as well as offset compensation for consistent measurement accuracies up to 1 to 2 degrees and reduced need for recalibration
- I2C digital interface
- Popular two-wire serial data interface for consumer electronics
- Wide magnetic field range (+/-8 Oe)
- Sensors can be used in strong magnetic field environments with a 1 to 2 degree compass heading accuracy
- Software and Algorithm Support
- Heading, hard iron, soft iron and auto calibration libraries are available
- Fast 160 Hz Maximum Output Rate
- Ideal for pedestrian navigation and LBS applications
For more information, contact Honeywell at 763-954-2474 or 800-323-8295.